Kota Marudu Member of Parliament

Ong questions solar farm project awarded to Umno man

PETALING JAYA: Is having an Umno leader as a shareholder of a company a criteria for the awarding of contracts by the government, asks DAP lawmaker Ong Kian Ming.

The Serdang MP said that could be one explanation following the disclosure by Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB) on the signing of Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs) with three Special Purpose Companies (SPCs) earlier this month, to build solar farms.

Ong also questioned the value of the PPA signed by TNB.

The solar farms – Quantum Solar Park (Malacca), Quantum Solar Park (Kedah) and Quantum Solar Park (Terengganu) – were set up by a consortium of three private companies to build three 50MW solar farms in Jasin (Malacca), Gurun (Kedah) and Merchang (Terengganu).

He added that the bigger shock was that all three private companies did not have any experience in solar technology.

According to Ong, as per the filing by TNB to Bursa Malaysia on the signing of the PPAs, one of the three private companies is Maltech Pro, which was incorporated in April 2012.

He said a check with the Companies Commission of Malaysia (SSM) showed that the shareholders of Maltechpro include Umno supreme council member Sohaimi Shahadan, who owns 35 per cent of the company and is its executive chairman, and Shah Alam Umno leader Ahmad Zaffry Sulaiman, who owns 20 per cent of the company.

note1_

 

“Maltech Pro is in the business of ‘mobile applications, devices and equipment’, according to its company profile. It was in the news in 2012 for selling the first Malaysian made tablet – 1 Malaysia Pad – at RM999, according to a report in The Star, dated May 25, 2012.

“At the time of writing, it is unsure if any of these tablets were ever delivered to buyers, especially since even Maltech Pro’s website (www.maltechpro.com) is no longer functioning,” Ong said.

He added that TNB had stated in its filing to Bursa that these solar farm projects were awarded by the Energy, Green Technology and Water Ministry.

On Cam-Lite, Ong’s research uncovered that its only two shareholders are a father Zainoor Sulaiman, with a 90 per cent stake, and his daughter Zeliza, holding the remaining 10 per cent.

“Cam-Lite does not have any website and in its last filing to SSM, its revenue for financial year ending 2012 was RM131,359 with a profit of RM1,397,” Ong said.

y35

He added that only the third company in the consortium, Itramas, has a website (www.itramas.com) that works and lists three core areas of business, namely Intelligent Transportation System (ITS), Security and Surveillance, and LED lighting products.

Itramas revenues in 2014 amounted to RM44million but it made an after-tax profit of RM413,189.

“I had asked last February for the minister, Maximus Ongkili, to reveal the identity of the consortium which was awarded the right to build a 150MW solar farm, but he was not willing to divulge this information.

“He refused even when I asked him directly during a parliamentary sitting,” Ong said, adding that it was only made known after TNB’s filing with Bursa.

Ong then questioned as to how these companies were picked given that they lacked any track record.

“This is more so, especially when there are many other more qualified companies who were bidding for these solar farm projects in Malaysia.”

 Source : freemalaysiatoday